email: Mihal.Freinquel@gmail.com

Sunday, January 7, 2018

almost 5 years post-op and still updating

Ok, so for those of you who watched my last video, here's an update.

I ended up going to my chiropractor, who is amazing and I trust a lot - he's gotten me through lots of aches and pains (including a herniated disc in my back), but has never actually done anything with my foot or ankle. He said my heel was locked into a weird position from all the tight muscles around it, and he rolled my ankle around in a bunch of weird ways, and did a little massaging. It felt really scary and vulnerable to have him handling my foot/ankle/leg like that - it kinda freaked me out. As he was rolling it around it felt a little crunchy inside, not quite popping, but like stuff was stuck. Then my heel area gave out a teeny pop.

It felt fine and I left. I iced a little that evening, and the next morning I woke up and the muscles on top of my ankle all the way up my shin were SO TIGHT. But, incidentally, the part of my ankle/foot that hurt originally felt better. The next few days kinda sucked - a lot of tightness - I iced a lot and took ibuprofen, which seemed to help. Then yesterday (5 days after the chiro) I went and got a massage and she helped to relax a lot of the muscles in my calf/achilles/ankle/foot which felt great.

She also reminded me that I knew this kind of injury would be a life-long thing to deal with, and I've had so many back/shoulder problems that I've kind of been negligent. Especially since I've been doing a lot of barre, which is pretty demanding on that area, I should have been getting massages there more regularly.

So that's the lesson, folks. Even when things are feeling good, keep up with whatever it is that makes your ankle loose and feeling good. Because when you start to get too relaxed, your issues will come back and make you hate yourself and feel like shit all over again.

Until next time!
Mihal

12 comments:

  1. How are you now, Mihal? Hope u are ok already

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Logos - I'm doing better now - thanks for checking in! I'm more aware of how tight my ankle is and have been needing to actively stretch it more, and have it massaged. The whole thing reminded me not to get lazy and that this injury will be a lifelong thing I'll need to deal with. So I'm being more active about that :)

      Delete
    2. Did your ankle hurt after being able to put weight on it?

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Mihal!
    I am so sorry to hear that your ankle is acting up. I am 1.5 years post op and am going through something similar. My foot muscles get tight and I have been developing fascial knots in my heel and under my little toe! So weird, I was really freaked out but read your post and calmed down. I guess it takes a very long time to return to any semblance of normality!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I’m in week 10 after ankle surgery.. I still have blue swollen foot .. and tight ankle :(
    My doctor told me I should walk without crutches after 2 weeks . But I’m so afraid I could fall and hurt myself :(
    your YouTube videos were so helpful during my recovery . Thank you so much

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh I'm so sorry Sunny. Also - 10 weeks post-op is still so fresh. Find balance for yourself - pushing yourself to do things even when you're scared, but also listening to yourself when something really doesn't feel right. Maybe a physical therapist can help get you through this time?

      Delete
  6. Hi Mihal - I *JUST* found your blog at two weeks post-op for a tri-mal fracture of my right ankle. Nobody ever warns you about the mental side-effect of an ankle broken so badly that it needs surgery, so reading your posts helps me through my journey. It's nice to see that I have hope for the future, even if it will be a slow recovery. Keep posting lady. You're helping us all. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tara I fell down my stairs October 20 2018. Trimalleolar fracture with 1 plate 10 screws total. A real cluster fuck this injury is to your physical and mental well being. Tonight I’m in pain because I did ALOT of flexing ROM today. Still NWB but next week I see my doctor hope I get green light for PT. Can’t wait to sleep on my side again. I can say that getting calcium and eating a well balanced diet seemed to help a ton. I did green kale shakes with pineapple banana flaxseed milk and yogurt. I swear the next day I had less pain. Could all be in my head. LOL! DeeDee

      Delete
  7. Hi Miss miahl
    Hope you are well. .
    I thank you for your time to us firstly
    And I was also broke my leg in football before one month and I did operation.. . Tomorrow I will check my ankle in x-ray for remove that material in my leg : ) I'm happy for hear your advices ..

    ReplyDelete