email: Mihal.Freinquel@gmail.com

Sunday, October 20, 2013

6 months and a little bit...

Well, it's been about 6 months since my ankle surgery. 25 weeks and 3 days to be exact. When I was still bed-ridden and scouring the blogs and forums, I remember many folks said that 6 months post-op is when they began to feel normal. And I think that's key here - BEGAN.

I still don't feel anywhere close to normal, but I don't feel TERRIBLE. Sure, I can walk here, walk there, I can go out to dinner, the theatre, sporting events, whatever. But I'm keenly aware of my ankle every second of every day. Every second. Of every day. When I walk down steps, when I'm at my computer, when I get up to pee in the middle of the night, in meetings, in parking lots, in the shower, when I do yoga, when I don't do yoga, when I think about yoga, when I make dinner, when I make out with J and have to get on my tippy-toes, when I'm grocery shopping and that big cumbersome cart makes better sharp turns than I do...

I'm telling you. ALL. THE FUCKING. TIME.

As this cold weather rolls in, I'm also very aware of how cold my hardware gets. Cold hardware ankle isn't like having cold muscles - it doesn't just warm up by doing stuff anymore...I actually have to heat it up. I've been using a heating pad or hot water bottle, but I'm looking for some type of electric bootie that will do the trick (I don't have a microwave so I'm kind of limited). Saunas are also in my future.

My achilles is sore...pretty much all day every day. Stretching it basically does nothing. My calf is tight from my achilles being tight, and my shin is wound up too. Oh yeah, and my toes...ugh. I'm still seeing my massage therapist Ashley every other week and she helps me a lot. (By the way if you live in or around Portland, OR, you gotta check this chick out.). I've also - oddly - been integrating a lot of ballet moves into my workouts this past week, which makes me think maybe I should try barre3. Believe it or not, I actually used to be a ballerina, so the movements feel kind of natural. Would I be able to keep up in a class? Mostly likely not. Hm, DVD?

This isn't me complaining - but telling you what "beginning to feel normal" at 6 months post-op feels like for me. In my experience, the 6 month mark is more about being able to do normal things. But that isn't enough for me. I want to do awesome things, and feel awesome and look awesome. I still can't wear most of my shoes - all of my heeled/platform shoes are looking at me like C'MON BITCH HURRY UP. I'm trying guys, I'm trying. 

So...that's where I'm at now guys. No pictures or videos for this one - 6 months doesn't deserve it.

3 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, I SO relate to you thinking about your ankle "all the fucking time!" Especially every time I walk down the stairs where I fell, which put me in this frustrating situation. I'm the one who broke her ankle on both sides and have 1 plate and 8 screws in there. This was back in June, so I'm approaching the 5 month mark. Lately I've hit a bump in my recovery since I slipped on some wet leaves and fell AGAIN with my foot wanting to go the wrong way. I think that if I didn't have the hardware in my ankle, I probably would have broken it all over again. Anyway, my ankle is swelling up again and I have unexplained bruising and discoloration. UGH. It's so frustrating to not be back to "normal" like I thought I would be by this point. But I guess I have to accept the fact that I will never be normal again.

    I would like to thank you again for starting this blog for all of us who are in this awful predicament to read so that we know we're not alone! Happy healing to you:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG JULIE. Every time I cross over wet leaves I go super slow and think to myself "easy does it" for that very reason. It seems like everything is a slip waiting to happen (especially here in Portland with the rain). Did you get an xray to make sure all is okay in there? Hope you're not in too much pain.

      I haven't quite accepted that I"ll never be "normal" again. After I get the surgery to get my hardware out, if shit still doesn't get better, then I'll probably try to accept.

      As long as you guys keep reading, I'll keep writing! Thank you so much for following my journey, and please keep me updated with yours :)

      Delete
  2. I go to the doctor on November 18th for a check on how things are going and I'm sure I'll get an x-ray then to see if everything's okay. I did call him to see if I should get in earlier and he said as long as my bruises aren't deep purple or feeling too painful, I should be okay. I just have to take it easy, yadda yadda yadda (have heard that a million times already). "Taking it easy" is much easier said than done, especially being a teacher and mom to an 8 year old! It's good that I teach fifth graders who are pretty independent and can help make copies or run quick errands around the school. However, I do still have to walk them to places like the cafeteria and computer class (which is where I was headed when this accident occurred back in June!), so I am on my feet much more than what I would like to be.

    Lately the bruising has gone away, but I'm definitely more sore all over my lower leg area. My physical therapist noticed that I have tightness in the muscles in my calf area, so that's probably what's been causing all of the extra soreness and stiffness lately. Last time I was in she did a needling treatment, which was not pleasant.

    But I guess I can't complain too much knowing that your hardware is causing you such pain and you have to have more surgery to get it taken out- yikes! That really sucks that you have to go through all of these lingering problems with the recovery, which is hard enough to handle on it's own.

    Sending good wishes your way... I'll keep you updated on my "progress" if that's what you'd like to call it. ha ha

    Take care!

    ReplyDelete