email: Mihal.Freinquel@gmail.com

Saturday, August 3, 2013

thank you god for pilates



Quitting physical therapy was the best decision I've ever made. Don't get me wrong, it was awesome at the beginning, but now that I'm up and walking and feeling more experimental, I really needed a more robust program. When you break your ankle it feels like the only thing that matters in your world is your ankle - but guess what? The rest of your body gets super fucked up too - and that needs to be addressed. Unfortunately PT is more solely focused on the injured body part (which, again, is GREAT for the beginning stages of healing).

So far in pilates I've discovered that my core has weakened tremendously (or maybe it was never strong?), my non-injured foot is SO TIGHT from compensating for the other side, I have some weird shoulder stuff going on from my crutches, etc etc. The movements and exercises we do are slight, but so powerful.

Above is Lavinia, my instructor and friend, in her magical studio of strength and sunshine. Obviously I'm happy to be there. If you live anywhere near the Portland area, I suggest you check her out. She took a video of me on the ankle roller strengthening thing - it's so much harder than it looks ohmygod.

No comments:

Post a Comment