email: Mihal.Freinquel@gmail.com

Friday, August 16, 2013

i basically do things now

Hi all!!

It's been a couple of weeks since my last update - and I realized yesterday that I'm 16 weeks post-op...yes, that's FOUR MONTHS. That's bananas. 4 months is long, but it has sure as fuck felt longer. This also means I started weight-bearing just a little over 2 months ago. Wow. Time sure does NOT fly when the only thing you think about is your ankle.

But on a more positive note - I've been reflecting on how far I've come. I actually kind of do stuff now. Aside from driving to work, being there all day (walking around quite a bit, which is good), and driving back, I also sorta have a social life again.

I made dinner with my mom for her birthday and then cuddled with J on her couch:

I went to a potluck and hung out all night with friends:

I met a brand new baby:

Aaaand in a few hours, J and I are headed to San Francisco! I'm a little nervous. My feet swell on planes a lot anyway, so I'm nervous that mine's gonna explode. Also, it's the first time I'm going through airport security after my ankle's been packed full o' metal, so that should be interesting. We're renting a car so I'm sure there won't be TOO much walking once we're there - but at the same time who doesn't wanna walk? I love walking. Blah.

In other news, I'm still doing pilates and yoga...my ankle is still tight as shit - my range of motion sucks and I still can't tell if it's getting any better. I want this hardware OUT LIKE YESTERDAY. I've started doing ankle ice baths which feel way better than all other ice options, but they're kind of a pain in the ass. 

So that's my update. I'll let you know how San Fran goes.

7 comments:

  1. Hi Mihal, I'm not sure if you still monitor comments but I need to write this so it might help even if you don't read it! I'm 15 weeks post op, really fed up today as the last week I feel I have regressed. I have done really well and am back to driving, walking my dog and running around after my family but I WANT MORE!! This week I did a spinning class on top of christmas shopping and dog walking and I'm so uncomfortable now with pain all up the lower half of my leg and my foot. Sorry to moan but I was feeling so much better and hoping to get back to normal but I know its going to be a lot longer. Hope all is well with you now and that you are really back to normal now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there! I do still monitor :) First of all, 15 weeks post op is NOTHING. Have patience with yourself! It sounds like you're doing a great job staying active and challenging yourself. My recommendations for progress: 1) Massage. You MUST get massage for that pain in your foot and leg...and that includes scar massage. 2) Yoga. It's not just your foot/ankle that needs the love, but your whole body. Stretch it, strengthen it, and play with balance - all of those things will help the rest of your body to catch your ankle up to speed. Happy healing!

      Delete
  2. I know Im late to the party but Ive been looking for encouragement today and found it here. I am 60 yrs old, not terribly active as I had a desk job for 13 years until this accident. Anyway, broke my ankle last June 6, 2015, tri mal, and spent four months in a wheelchair. Since then I have recovered to a point but just this morning I took my dogs for a walk to the park and I struggled to get back home. That was only about 3/4 mile. I feel exhausted after this little exertion and wonder if I will ever ever feel normal again. The broken ankle was followed by a broken toe while the foot was in the cast. FREAK accident. That still hurts too and since I lost my job I have no health insurance so I can not go to PT or seek treatment for the toe pain. this is so discouraging. I have tried yoga at home but I cant bend that toe, let alone get a full stretch in my ankle.
    All I want is to walk my dogs and play with my grandkids and not feel like I was run over by a truck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have patience with yourself Michelle! Keep walking, and keep trying yoga. Gentle movement and stretching - CONSISTENTLY - are very good things. You can do it!!!

      Delete
  3. Hi Mihal, not sure if you still monitor this blog but I thought I'd give it a shot. I basically shattered my ankle zip lining and had orif to repair 3 and a half months ago. As you know, this has been quite the ordeal. I'm getting very frustrated with the constant pain and limp because of it. I'm in physical therapy 3 times a week and going to begin to incorporate more yoga now that I have some mobility. Did you have a limp due to pain? How bad was your break? Mine was in trimalleor (3 places). Not sure if the severity of the break affects recovery.
    Regardless, thanks for documenting your recovery. It's been super helpful. Who knew ankle fractures were such a pain in the ass?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, I still monitor! I didn't limp but that's not because I couldn't have. My PT told me early on that if I feel the need to limp, then I'm doing too much - meaning, I should go back to using a crutch or the boot, or whatever I weaned off last - if you've read through this blog you know what I mean in terms of my weight-bearing progression. She said that limps can become habitual, so just don't ever start. I broke both tib and fib, and yeah - I mean I think the more hardware you put in there, the more you have to contend with when it comes to healing.

      Best of luck!

      Delete
    2. Yea, that makes sense. I guess I'm just trying to rush through it and get back to normal, but a limp ain't normal! Thanks for responding!

      Delete