email: Mihal.Freinquel@gmail.com

Monday, June 24, 2013

2 feet down! (follow up #3)

Last week I went to my doctor/surgeon for a follow-up. He said my bones looked strong and were healing great - his exact words were "it's solid in there". (Yes, "solid" is a great descriptor for what's happening in there, it's still so fucking tight). He said I should continue to ween myself off of the crutches until I'm just walking in the boot, and estimated that in about 3 weeks I should be out of the boot and into a sneaker. He also said I could start playing around with putting both feet on the ground...so I did:

 
This video is the 2nd day of putting 2 feet down - the first day I tried it I found myself sobbing uncontrollably from relief and happiness and joy and I think a little bit of fear.

 SUMMARY!!

Where I'm at right now: Walking with 2 crutches & boot when outside, walking with 1 crutch and the boot when inside.
Where I'm headed this week, hopefully: Walking with 1 crutch and boot outside, walking with only boot inside.
Where I'm headed after that: Move to boot-only walking, then when I get out of the boot and into a sneaker, the crutches come back until I'm strong enough to not need the extra support.

So that's that. I didn't blog much last week because not much changed. Or at least it didn't feel like it in the moment, but looking back I guess there is some stuff of note. My range of motion improved by several degrees each way, I got more interesting exercises to do at PT (including using the pilates reformer machine), I'm up to 14 minutes from 6 on the recumbent bike, I finally got my hair done (NOT pictured below), I took a really long walk to get some excellent cheesecake...oh and I bought some towels at Target and rode this thing:

No comments:

Post a Comment