email: Mihal.Freinquel@gmail.com

Friday, June 14, 2013

the slip

I slipped on the way to physical therapy yesterday. In between the parking lot and the building are a bunch of these big terrible tiles that, when wet, are slippery as shit.


They put that cone out there AFTER I slipped...thanks guys

As you can see, there's no escaping these tiles when trying to make it from the parking lot to the sidewalk, and on my way inside it was raining quite a bit - no bueno. My crutch slipped out from under me, and to catch myself my bad foot instinctively slammed down onto the ground. I felt billions of little foot nerves all scream out at once. It prevented a fall, but it scared the bejesus out of me and made my foot and ankle feel really crappy.

I walked inside like "uh I just slipped outside on those dumb slippery tiles" and the receptionists were like "oh man, that sucks". So I sat down in the waiting room for a few minutes before asking to lie down and maybe get some ice. They obliged and my therapist came in to see me, performed some tests on my bones and tissue (she's so smart and good and I love her), and said everything looked okay, but I should just keep an eye on it and let her know if anything gets swollen. Then, instead of doing my usual exercises she just did some massage, some ice, and we filled out an accident report.

I left feeling pretty ouchy and bruised, though my foot looked fine, and then I watched "The L Word" the rest of the day...worst show ever.

Oh, at the very end of my PT session, my therapist SHOWED ME HOW TO WALK...which I start doing tomorrow. I'm thinking about making a video for you guys...baby Mihal's first steps :)

3 comments:

  1. God, i've fallen twice, it was terrifying. One time I was trying to get the scooter thing out of the back of my car alone on crutches, and everything turned to shit. Luckily I was close enough to my house that my husband heard me out there hollering. . .but gawd. . .again with the humiliation. Plus, it's so scary to think that i might have damaged myself and made the injury worse.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I fell in a restaurant when I was on crutches and still NWB. I couldn't put my hands out to save me, so I fel squarely on my good knee. I was in tears all evening worried I had fucked up my good leg. Luckily things felt way better the next day, but my bruises took 3 weeks to heal. Falling when you are already injured is the worst.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I fell on a drying floor of the bathroom at the hospital, an hour before I had my orif lateral fibula. I miss stepped with the crutch and fell sideways landing on the knee of my bad leg. So humiliating... but thankfully surgery went ahead...the fear of putting your foot down is unrelenting on crutches. A knee scooter after surgery was a God send. No more worrying about that! Thank you for this blog. It always answers my questions. I am week 5 post surgery and week 7 post injury. Weight bearing as tolerated in boot stage.

    ReplyDelete