email: Mihal.Freinquel@gmail.com

Tuesday, May 21, 2013

sad leg, sad mihal

You'd think that having my leg out of the cast would have made me feel happy, but being able to see my ankle and foot - swollen, discolored, and completely unable to move - made me really really sad.

 (that's a big toeless sock the doc gave me when he took my stitches out, I kept it on a few days before trying to put on a real one - which J had to do for me)

I almost couldn't speak about my ankle or how I was doing without breaking into tears. I thought about how much time I had before I could even start to try walking (8 weeks post-op), I thought about yoga and joints and how incredible they are, I looked outside at the playground across the street and envied the little kids as they played. I couldn't move my ankle, I could hardly wiggle my toes, I felt sorry for myself...and I still slept on my back. But a week later I took off the white sticky things and was allowed to start taking showers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


Look at my cute little scar starting to form (the rest of that bloody-looking mess is a scab). Yes, taking showers DOES mean shaving my legs - which I did do...you're welcome. My mom hooked me up with this shower chair for old folk...


...and my dear J put it together for me without the back, because I really just wanted a stool. I'll tell ya, that's the best shower I ever did take. 

Mood swings continued (and keep continuing) to come and go - oscillating between feeling totally pathetic and kind of okay - I've certainly seen more tears since the accident than I have in the last few years combined. Within a few days of showering, I tried sleeping on my side - using pillows to prop my feet and legs up in various places. Though I continued to wake up several times a night, I found sleeping on my side to be a nearly orgasmic sensation. I also bought this book Mind Over Medicine by Lissa Rankin with the hopes of thinking myself better. We'll see...

3 comments:

  1. I just wanted to cry alot also. What is up with that? and yes I can soooooo appreciate the first shower.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you feel more pain after the splint was removed? I had my splint removed this past Wednesday and am now in a boot, but suddenly have an achy dull pain. While in a splint, I barely experienced pain. I feel worried

    ReplyDelete
  3. Me too...I’m 4.5 weeks postop for tibia and fibula breaks and I swing from crying buckets to feeling grateful I’ve come so far in 4 weeks.

    ReplyDelete