email: Mihal.Freinquel@gmail.com

Thursday, May 30, 2013

getting into physical therapy

 

Physical therapy stirs up a lot for me - physically and mentally. The massaging and icing feel great - while the stretches and exercises are excruciating. In my gym-rat days I was a "pusher" - always challenging myself to spin faster, lift more, hold it longer. I was in incredible shape, but this mindset eventually led to a hip and back injury that kept me out of the gym for about 2 years, and the pain still plagues me. About a year ago, I fell deeply in love with yoga - where intuition reigns supreme, and I feel like my body and I are in a partnership, rather than in competition. Ironically, I'm in even better shape and have found a way to ease my pain...and my mind.

Physical therapy confuses me (and scares me) because it feels more like the gym than yoga - I have to push hard, do things that feel uncomfortable and wrong - in some ways not listening to what my body wants at all. Everything is unnatural, and watching my ankle (not) move is depressing. I sweat the same amount during 6 minutes on the recumbent bike as I used to during an hour of high-intensity spinning. I feel hyper-aware of the hardware inside my body (did the doc pour cement in there too????! WTF) and feel like I need a major oil lube, Tinman style.

I'm trying to find the yoga in PT - the quiet mind, breathing, and trusting my body to heal - but goddamnshitmotherfucker IT'S HARD.

1 comment:

  1. I've tried to stay active doing upper body workouts like rowing (1 foot), hand bike, hand spin bike (not easy), and strength training class geared for me- (I love my Y). I'm a triathlete, a slow overweight triathlete who can't wait to get back into it.
    I love reading your spinning update! So true!

    ReplyDelete